Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Kong Bust WIP Photos

I've been asked by Mr. Paul Gill of Gillman Productions to create a new Kong bust. You folks may remember my original bust (B&W photo) that I recently sold on eBay.

The new bust is too be somewhat smaller in size to make casting it in resin easier. I was also asked to redesign the shoulders of the bust so it sits in a more aesthetically pleasing way.

In my original piece the native was being munched on in a face up position. In the recreation the native will be face down.

Mr. Gill also asked me to give the fur on the recreation a bit more detailing than the original sculpture had.

After seeing wip photos of the new bust it was thought the creases I utilized to detail the brow area of the original sculpture looked too stark. So we are going with a more veiny, wrinkly type look on the brows.

To achieve this look tiny strips of clay are positioned using a 0000 detail brush. Then after melding them in place the brush is again used to carefully remove the tool marks. Finally a larger brush is used to blend the wrinkle in with the surrounding brow area.

I have one brow finished and I have to say that I do like the veiny look better than just creases alone!

8 comments:

  1. The veiny look suits it really well Brian. Its looking good as per.

    Debie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man-oh-man! I love this soooooo much!!! I would be honored to have one in my home! I know we briefly discussed this months ago, but please let me know how much you would require! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Price of Wails. Gillman Productions is going to be handling producing a limited run of castings. I'll have more info as things progress. Thanks for your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news! I was so upset to lose the ebay auction of your first version of this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is an incredible piece! So much detail and the veiny effect looks perfect on it. Really inspired after seeing that, your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian, you never cease to amaze me. I can see that you take your time with your work and it is so worth it.
    Thank you for your visit and for leaving me a note. Yes the train was the fastest i have been. I took a train from a small town in Italy to Milan and it was very fast but nothing like this one in Germany- amazing... and the thing is one can see the speed but hardly 'feel' it!
    smiles~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am liking the veiny look too! Truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete