Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sculpting The Brontosaurus From King Kong

I recently got an interesting commission. I was asked to create the brontosaurus from the 1933 version of King Kong. My client wanted a likeness of the nasty sauropod as it menaced a sailor from the rescue party that had climbed a tree to escape.

I began by cutting a block of wood which would be the base of the tree.I affixed a nut into the wood so the finished tree could be securely bolted to a display base.

Next I screwed a couple of pieces of metal strip to the block which I covered with some Apoxie Sculpt clay. I gently pressed a wooden dowel into the top of the clay to make an impression. When it had cured I attached the dowel which would be the spine of my tree.

After gluing the dowel in place I checked the tree size next to the aluminum wire and Styrofoam armature of the brontosaur.

No comments:

Post a Comment