Friday, August 14, 2009

Skull Island Wall Cornerstone

While sections of the stone work on the wall itself was curing I turned my attention to the ornamental cornerstones.

The staircases to the right and left sides of the wooden gate each have a pair of cornerstones. I began by making a wood frame to sculpt my cornerstone on.

The wooden frame was notched out to fit over the staircase steps. This way as the sculpting progressed I could test fit my cornerstone exactly where it would later be mounted.

Using Super Sculpey I modeled my cornerstone. I textured it and added a few cracks then smoothed down any rough areas with a stiff brush dipped in 91% alcohol. Since I would be needing multiple cornerstones I decided to make a latex mold of my original model and cast the four pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment